4th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop and the CCI Soil Moisture User Workshop
September 18 - September 20
We cordially invite you to attend the 4th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop and the CCI Soil Moisture User Workshop
– 18th September 2017 (CCI Soil Moisture User Workshop)
– 19th-20th September 2017 (Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop)
– Vienna University of Technology, Gußhausstraße 27-29, 1040 Wien, Austria
– Start registration & abstract submission 1 March 2017
– Abstract submission closure 1 May 2017
– End of early bird registration 15 May 2017
– Notification of acceptance 1 June 2017
– Issue of preliminary programme 15 June 2017
– Issue of final programme 15 August 2017
The purpose of the Satellite Soil Moisture and Application Workshop is to discuss and reconcile recent methodological advances in the development, validation and application of global satellite soil moisture data. The workshop series is unique by bringing together satellite soil moisture users and developers to focus on both the derivation and exploration of soil moisture data from passive or active microwave satellite missions (SMAP, SMOS, ASCAT, AMRS-2, Sentinel-1, and other legacy missions). Following research questions will be addressed during this workshop:
– What is the quality of the current satellite products and what can we expect in the near future?
– What is information content at Level 1 and how to exploit the availability of multiple satellites?
– Who is using satellite soil moisture data and for what purpose?
– What are the best practices in validating soil moisture products?
– What are the main limitations of satellite soil moisture data from a user’s perspective?
– What is the future of satellite-based soil moisture remote sensing?
The workshop follows up workshops held at the European Space Agency in Frascati (Italy, in 2013), at the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in Amsterdam (Netherlands, in 2014) and at the Millenium Broadway Hotel in New York (USA, in 2016). The report from the 3rd workshop was published in the GEWEX News November 2016.
The CCI Soil Moisture User Workshop is similar in scope but particularly invites users of the CCI Soil Moisture products.Users from any relevant application area are invited to present their experiences with the data and provide ideas for future product improvements. The CCI Soil Moisture User Workshop is an event organized within the framework of ESA’s Climate Change Initiative (CCI) Soil Moisture project.
For more information, please visit http://smw.geo.tuwien.ac.at